College Profile: Southern University and A & M College
The mission of Southern University and A & M College, an historically black, 1890 land grant institution, is to provide opportunities for a diverse student population to achieve a high-quality, global educational experience, to engage in scholarly, research and creative activities and to give meaningful, public service to the community, the state, the nation, and the world so that Southern University graduates are competent, informed and productive citizens.
Southern University has a proud history of strong academic programs, extra-curricular activities and services, designed to assist in the development of the "total" student. We provide a wide variety of extra-curricular organizations and activities that include academic, social, student governance and personal enhancement programs that afford you with many options to learn, contribute and enjoy your college experience.
Southern has an outstanding national reputation as evidenced, in part, by the fact that graduate and professional schools and businesses seek our graduates regularly. Our mission is five-pronged, paying special attention to: diversity, global engagement, scholarship, public service and productive graduates.
Southern offers collaborative programs in materials science, engineering, criminal justice, business and more with several institutions, including Duke University, Louisiana State University, The University of New Orleans, Northwestern State University and several community colleges, including Baton Rouge Community College. We also offer Study Abroad opportunities in several countries, including Mexico, Ghana, Puerto Rico, Liberia, Uganda, Senegal, Belize and China.
Southern has an outstanding and diverse faculty committed to insuring that our students have every opportunity to be successful. Eighty-five percent of our faculty have earned terminal degrees and during 2007-08 our faculty secured nearly $30 million in research funding.
In our effort to move the University forward, we have focused on four main areas: academic excellence, customer service, the critical continuum (from recruitment to graduation) and data-based decision making.
3rd Floor, J.S. Clark Adm. Building, P.O. Box 9374
225-771-2790 (financial aid)
Southern University and A&M College at Baton Rouge is a component of the public education system of the State of Louisiana, providing comprehensive programs of study ranging from associate degrees to doctoral degrees. The Universitys admission policy is grounded in the belief that opportunity and quality can co-exist in a diverse educational environment. The University is committed to a broad program of research and creative work to stimulate faculty and students in a quest for knowledge and to aid society in resolving its scientific, technical, socioeconomic and cultural problems. Southern University and A&M College at Baton Rouge renders services to the community through urban and rural programs. Adhering to the spirit of its 1890 Land Grand function, the Universitys extension programs have assumed a more prominent posture throughout the State of Louisiana, nationally and internationally.
||Public, 4-year or above|
||5,000 - 9,999|
|Title IV Eligibility
||Participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs|
College Student Services Offered
||Academic/career counseling service|
||Employment services for students||Yes
||Placement services for completers|
||On-campus day care for students' children||
College Special Learning Opportunities
||Distance learning opportunities|
||ROTC: Air Force||
Sources: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Southern University and A & M College Website
Admissions Considerations & Recommendations
|Open admission policy
|Admission test scores
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language
Applicants (most recent fall period)
Admissions (most recent fall period)
Percentage of Students Submitting Test Scores
SAT Percentile Scores
ACT Percentile Scores
Percentage Receiving Financial Aid
Average Amount of Financial Aid Received
Average Tuition for Full-Time Undergraduates
Average Tuition for Full-Time Graduates
Comprehensive Fee for Full-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Undergraduates
Per Credit Hour Charge for Part-Time Graduates
||Student Body Size||Yes
||Total Dormitory Capacity|
College Levels Offered
||Less than one year certificate||No
||One but less than two years certificate|
||Two but less than 4 years certificate|
All Academic Programs
- Spanish Language Teacher Education.
- Elementary Education and Teaching.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Civil Engineering, General.
- Mathematics Teacher Education.
- Educational Leadership and Administration, General.
- Early Childhood Education and Teaching.
- Family Practice Nurse/Nurse Practitioner.
- Chemistry Teacher Education.
- Elementary and Middle School Administration/Principalship.
- Secondary Education and Teaching.
- Chemistry, Other.
- Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General.
- Art Teacher Education.
- Marketing/Marketing Management, General.
- Agricultural Economics.
- English Language and Literature, General.
- Public Administration.
- Social Sciences, General.
- Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering.
- Environmental Toxicology.
- Information Resources Management/CIO Training.
- Nursing, Other.
- Family and Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences, General.
- Spanish Language and Literature.
- Political Science and Government, General.
- French Language and Literature.
- Nursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN).
- Criminal Justice/Police Science.
- Fine/Studio Arts, General.
- Junior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education and Teaching.
- Criminal Justice/Safety Studies.
- Finance, General.
- Nursing Science (MS, PhD).
- Computer Science.
- Architecture (BArch, BA/BS, MArch, MA/MS, PhD).
- Business Administration and Management, General.
- Music Performance, General.
- Biology/Biological Sciences, General.
- Business/Managerial Economics.
- French Language Teacher Education.
- Teacher Education and Professional Development, Specific Subject Areas, Other.
- Agriculture, General.
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Services Technician.
- Urban Forestry.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling/Counselor.
- Psychology, General.
- Science Teacher Education/General Science Teacher Education.
- Biology Teacher Education.
- Electrical, Electronic and Communications Engineering Technology/Technician.
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching.
- Mass Communication/Media Studies.
- Social Studies Teacher Education.
- Physics Teacher Education.
- Music Teacher Education.
- Special Education and Teaching, General.
- Curriculum and Instruction.
- Mathematics, General.
- Chemistry, General.
- Engineering, General.
- Counselor Education/School Counseling and Guidance Services.
- Audiology/Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathology/Pathologist.
- Social Work.
- English/Language Arts Teacher Education.
- Physics, General.
- Therapeutic Recreation/Recreational Therapy.
- Public Policy Analysis.
- Computer Teacher Education.
- Agricultural Teacher Education.
- Speech and Rhetorical Studies.
- History, General.
Question and Answer about "Southern University and A & M College"
No questions found...